- 1 small cauliflower (about 2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil; more for the gratin dish Kosher salt
- 13/4 oz. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2/3 cup grated on the small holes of a box grater)
- 33/4 cups whole milk
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 21/4 oz. (1/2 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
A sformato is an Italian version of a soufflé. If you like, you can bake the
cauliflower mixture in individual ramekins or gratin dishes; just reduce the
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.
- Core the cauliflower and separate it into florets. Cut the florets into1/4-inch thick slices. Put the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the
olive oil. Spread in an even layer, season with1/2tsp. salt, and roast until tender,
30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Raise the oven temperature to 400°F. Brush an
8×10-inch (2-quart) gratin dish with olive oil and evenly coat with about half of
the Parmigiano. Set aside.
- Heat the milk in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until just about
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-low heat.
Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture turns light
golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly until very
smooth. Bring just to a boil and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Add
1tsp. salt and cook, stirring frequently, for10 minutes to develop the flavor.
Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks, and extra-virgin olive oil. Roughly
chop1/2cup of the cauliflower, and purée the rest in a food processor. Stir
the chopped cauliflower, cauliflower purée, egg mixture, and the remaining
Parmigiano into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the
mixture into the prepared gratin dish and bake until the sformato is just set
and browned around the edges, about 30 minutes. It should jiggle just a little
when you remove it from the oven. Letrestfor10 to 15 minutes before serving.
330 CALORIES | 10G PROTEIN | 16G CARB | 26G TOTALFAT | 12G SATFAT |
10GMONOFAT | 2GPOLYFAT | 175MGCHOL | 320 MG SODIUM | 2G FIBER