11/4 lb. fresh green beans, rinsed well and stem ends trimmed
1 small head garlic
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
11/2 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest (from 1 to 2 medium lemons), plus 2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup (about 11/2 oz.) pine nuts
1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
340 MG SODIUM
Roasted green beans are elevated to standout status when combined with pine nuts and Parmigiano.
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven. Heat the oven to 450°F.
- Put the beans in a large bowl. Peel the garlic, quarter each clove lengthwise (if the cloves are small, halve them), and add them to the green beans. Toss the beans and garlic with1/4cup of the olive oil,1 Tbs. of the lemon zest,1tsp. salt, and1/2tsp. pepper.
- Spread the beans on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the top third of the oven for10 minutes. Stir the beans and garlic with a spatula for more even cooking and coloring. Continue roasting until the beans and garlic pieces are lightly browned and tender throughout, another10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the bottom third of the oven until just golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the beans to a small serving platter or shallow bowl and dress with the lemon juice and the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Toss gently to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the toasted pine nuts, the remaining1/2Tbs. lemon zest, the Parmigiano, and the parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.